In 2018, the City of Savage moved to even year city council elections. The next election will be in 2020. Candidate filing for city offices is July 28, 2020 through August 11, 2020. Those interested in serving on the Savage City Council may file an affidavit of candidacy during this time at Savage City Hall, 6000 McColl Drive.
To be qualify, those seeking office must be:
- Eligible to vote in Minnesota,
- a candidate for no other office at the same election,
- 21 years of age upon assuming office,
- a resident of Savage for 30 days before the general election
Payment of a filing fee of $5 is required. Questions may be directed to the City Clerk at 952-882-2660 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Political Campaign Signs
Minnesota State Statutes and Savage City Code regulate the placement of campaign signs. Below is a summary of some of the regulations that apply.
- Signs need to be located on private property with permission from the owner.
- Signs cannot be located on public property or within any road right-of-way. Please note the road right-of-way line does not end at the edge of street or curb. In some cases, the right-of-way line of major roadways may be 60 - 80 feet or more beyond the edge of the street curb.
- Please verify campaign signs are not located within right-of-way or on other public property to avoid removal. If you need assistance determining public property boundaries, please contact the Planning Department at 952-882-2660.
- Signs may be posted starting 46 days prior to the state primary until 10 days after the general election.
- Political campaign signs need to be removed within 10 days of an election or referendum vote.
- On Election Day, campaign signs cannot be located within 100 feet of a polling place.
Please refer to the Political Campaign Sign Handout for additional information.