Current construction happening in your neighborhood. Learn more >


The constant goal of the Engineering Division is to provide the Savage community with the most durable, functional and efficient infrastructure and services possible. If you have any questions or would like assistance from the Engineering staff, please call 952-882-2671.

The Engineering Division conducts the administration of all City public works projects ordered by the City Council. The department oversees the design, construction and administration of sanitary sewer, watermain, storm sewer, and roadways.

Staff ensures the projects meet the City design standards and current engineering criteria and provides technical assistance to the City Council, City staff, and the general public.

The Engineering Division's primary responsibilities:

  • Administering the storm sewer utility and permitting compliance with state agencies.
  • Maintaining an inventory of the City's existing infrastructure as well as long-range planning for improvements to those systems.
  • Reviewing and processing building permits and grading and erosion control plans for new building construction.
  • Responding to the public or City Council regarding potential problems with drainage, streets, sidewalk or infrastructure.
  • The efficient and effective incorporation of engineering consultants for various City projects.
  • Administering the Municipal State Aid System and ensuring map updates and reports are submitted in a timely fashion.
  • Property acquisition and easement negotiations.
  • Preparing monthly and annual reports, budgets, equipment plans, and Capital Improvement Programs.
  • Ongoing training including the review of technical material, new products and new technology.
  • Expanding the use and implementation of the computer system and computer-aided drafting.
  • Assistance to other departments in preparing graphics or drawings and responding to requests for information.
  • Assistance in updating the City of Savage Comprehensive Plan for submittal to the Metropolitan Council.
  • Review and comment to the Planning Commission and City Council on plats, variances, zoning issues, conditional use permits, etc.
  • Review private development plans and make recommendations to the Planning Commission and City Council on development proposals.
  • Administering the Traffic Safety Committee, which reviews and makes recommendations on traffic issues.
  • Work with Scott County and state officials and adjoining communities on regional transportation projects.

Standard Specifications and Detail Plates - March 2015


  • Does the City survey lots?
  • How do I get my escrow released?
  • Is my neighbor allowed to direct their sump pump discharge pipe towards my property?
  • What is an "as-built survey" and why does the City need one?
  • What kind of Maps are available from the City?
  • When can I lay sod?
  • When can I put a sprinkler system in?
  • Where do I pay for Right-Of-Way (ROW) Permits?
  • Who comes out and inspects my lot for proper grading?
  • Why are there paint markings or flags in my yard? What do they mean?
More FAQs