Outdoor watering restrictions in effect. Learn more >


COVID-19: Stay-At-Home FAQ

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

As COVID-19 progresses across the country and in Minnesota, the City of Savage has been working closely with  with state and county officials, as well as public safety officials in neighboring cities and schools, to monitor the rapidly changing situation. Below you will find answers to questions you may have and links to resources.

What does this stay-at-home order mean?

Governor Walz extended the Stay-At-Home Executive Order until May 18. During this time: 

  1. Stay home unless you need to get groceries, medicine, gas, supplies or go to an essential job.  
  2. Don’t gather with others. This means no dinner parties, no meeting up with friends, and no visitors.
  3. It’s OK to go outside for walks if you are not in a group. You still need to maintain physical distancing.
  4. If you are an older adult or someone with a serious chronic medical condition, you are especially vulnerable and must stay home

Is this order mandatory?
Yes, this order is mandatory. For the safety of all Minnesotans, we need everyone’s cooperation to stay home and help reduce the spread of COVID-19.

Are grocery stores open?
Yes, grocery stores and other essential services will remain open, including but not limited to:

  • Pharmacies
  • Gas stations
  • Convenience stores
  • Liquor stores - both Savage City Liquor locations are open and fully stocked!
  • Banks/financial institution
  • Post office/mail will continue to be delivered
  • Home maintenance/hardware stores
  • Take-out and delivery restaurants; please patronize our businesses during this very difficult time

Here is a list from MDH of what is open and what is closed.

What will be closed? 
Dine-in restaurants and bars will remain closed until June 1. This also includes fitness clubs/gyms and hair and nail salons. Also note, Scott County has closed all Scott County Library locations including the Savage Public Library until at least May 18. For more information and updates, go to

Can we visit family and friends?
At this time, the Governor has ordered that we do  not visit friends and family in-person. However, this excludes caring for a family member, friend, or pet from a different household or transporting them from one place to another. Simply put- if at all possible physically distance yourself from everyone except your immediate family or those you must care for. 

Is City Hall closed? 
All City facilities will be closed to the public beginning March 27 and are planned to reopen on Monday, May 18 at 8 a.m. During this time, many of the services you normally did in-person can be done online.

What City services are still open? 
All essential services including Police, Fire, Water and Sewer will continue to operate without interruption, but staffing may be limited. City employees who are able to work remotely will continue to be available by phone and email during our facility closures.   

Will there be regular City Council and Commission meetings? 
Yes, at this time, the April 6 City Council meeting and the April 9 Planning Commission meeting will be tele - meetings. All of the City Councilmembers/Commissioners will join via phone. Residents will be able to listen to the meetings as they are happening via a live stream on or listen to the meeting live on SavageTV. The meetings will also be recorded and available in the meeting archive on the City websites. There will not be any public comments. We will provide more information for other future meetings as they get closer. 

How do I contact someone at the City of Savage? 
The following phone numbers should be used for calling specific departments. If you have an emergency, call 9-1-1. 

City Hall: 952-882-2660
Savage Police - non-emergency: 952-882-2600 
Savage Fire - non-emergency:  9521-882-2689  
Public Works: 952-224-3400 
Parks and Recreation: 952-224-3420
Utility Billing: 952-882-2681

A complete list of staff: Contact Us. 

How do I pay my water bill?  
There are several ways to pay your utility bill. Learn more.

Can I still get a permit or license during this time?
The City of Savage issues many different types or permits and licenses. Many can be purchased, filled out and submitted online. Please note, staffing is limited at this time which may cause delays in obtaining permits. 

Solicitor permits will be temporarily suspended until 4/10/20. Questions can be directed to the City Clerk at or 952-882-2642. 

Building permits can be filled out and submitted online. The Building Department will approve and process permits as time allows. Questions can be directed to 952-882-2650 or  

Can I reserve a meeting room at City Hall during the pandemic?
The City is no longer accepting room reservations from outside groups for use of City Hall. Room reservations reserved between March 18-May 31 have been canceled.

Can I still go to the park?
Yes, getting outside is good for the soul and sanity, so public parks, trails and dog parks remain open, but we ask that you continue to practice physical distancing.

How can I stay informed about City actions?
We will continue to update our website as additional information becomes available along with keeping you informed via our social media pages.