Current construction happening in your neighborhood. Learn more >


Report a Violation

The City responds to code violations on a written complaint basis only.

Submit a Code Complaint

Anonymous complaints will not be investigated. Personal information is confidential and will not be shared with the public.

*For noise or parking complaints, report the complaint while the violation is occurring by calling the 24 hour non-emergency police number at 952-445-1411.

City Fees

The City of Savage has a variety of fees depending on the services required. To find the fee for your service, download the 2020 Fee Schedule.

Pay City Invoice Fees Online

City Code and Ordinances

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

The Savage City Code is published online and although every effort is made to ensure its accuracy, the online city code may not include recent amendments made by the City Council. Please contact the City Clerk at 952-882-2660 for the most current version. 

Common Ordinances

Below are summaries of ordinances and regulations that commonly affect residents. Please see the Savage City Code for the full ordinance and other regulations that may apply. You may submit a possible code violations by completing the code violation report form

Animal Control

The Savage Police Department enforces animal regulations and issuance of dog licenses. Please call the 24 hour non-emergency police number at 952-445-1411 to report animals running loose, animal welfare concerns, lost pets and other animal related issues when the violation is occurring.


Curfew restrictions apply to public buildings, streets, parks or other public places, places of amusement, refreshment, entertainment or vacant lot.

  • Children under age 12 may not be out later than 9 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, and no later than 10 p.m. Friday or Saturday.
  • Children ages 12-14 may not be out past 10 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, or past 11 p.m. Friday or Saturday.
  • Children ages 15 to 17 may not be out past 11 p.m. Sunday through Thursday, or between 12:01 and 5 a.m. Friday or Saturday.

False Alarms

Savage City Code regulates alarm systems to reduce excessive false alarm calls that can burden the Police and Fire Departments. Alarm owners are required to register their alarm systems yearly.  Alarm users are responsible for reviewing and understanding these regulations before they install their alarm system including fees imposed for false alarms.

Fire Code

Minnesota Department of Public Safety - State Fire Marshal Division

BBQ and Open Flames on Balconies and Patios
Recreational Fires and Portable Outdoor Fireplaces
Smoke Alarms


Every owner or occupant of a household or business is required to contract with a solid waste collection service licensed by the City. The following applies to locating garbage and refuse containers:

  • Refuse and recycling should be in a closed container(s) consisting of a solid, durable material of sufficient size to accommodate and securely keep all refuse and recyclable that accumulate between collections.
  • Containers shall be kept in good repair and in a sanitary condition.
  • Refuse and recycling containers shall be stored in a location as to be out of the public view except on collection day.
  • Containers can be placed at the front property line for collection, but not before 4 p.m. the night before collection and shall be removed by 8 p.m. the day of collection.
  • Compost materials must be in a rodent-proof structure that is kept in a sanitary manner and placed in the rear yard no closer than five feet from the rear property line.


To control noise problems, the City has designated time frames allowed for garbage collection in residential districts or construction activity involving the use of any kind of electric, diesel or gas powered machinery or equipment:

  • Weekdays between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • Saturdays and holidays between 9 a.m. and 7 p.m.
  • Sundays between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m.

The City Engineer has the authority to grant contractors an extension to 10 p.m. on any day for extenuating circumstances.

Report noise complaints when they are occurring by calling the 24 hour non-emergency police number at 952-445-1411.


The following are some examples of nuisances that should be reported:

  • Accumulation of garbage, junk, debris, manure, decayed food or matter or other waste that causes offensive odors, unsightly conditions or excessive manifestation of insects to the discomfort and annoyance of adjacent property owners or the public.
  • Burning or depositing leaves, trash, lawn clippings or other materials into streets, alleys or gutters
  • Depositing snow or ice onto a public street, alley, sidewalk or trail.
  • Outdoor storage or accumulation of junk including, but not limited to junk vehicles, parts of machinery or motor vehicles, inoperable recreational vehicles, metal, appliances, building materials, or other similar items.
  • Obstructing a public sidewalk or street.
  • Excessive noise in violation of the noise standards of the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency, Minnesota Rules
  • Structures or part of structures which because of fire, wind or other natural disaster or deterioration are no longer habitable as a dwelling or its original purpose.
  • Any other material or equipment that may cause blight or an unsightly neighborhood condition.

Parking Restrictions

The City of Savage has adopted ordinances the regulate parking within the city. Common violations include:

  • Vehicles cannot be parked on any city street or alley for more than 48 consecutive hours.
  • Winter parking regulations are in effect from November 1 through March 31. Parking on city streets is prohibited between 2 and 6 a.m. on any day, except as may be allowed specifically by designated signage or by permit.
  • Vehicles cannot be parked on grass. Parking is only allowed on hard surface driveways leading directly into a garage or one open, hard surface driveway located on the side of the driveway or garage that is located five feet from the property line.
  • Vehicles must be currently licensed, operable, and in good repair.
  • Vehicles cannot obstruct a public sidewalk or trail.

Recreational Vehicle Parking

Below are common regulations for parking recreational vehicles:

  • Recreational vehicle is any vehicle designed for sport, amusement or recreation regardless of whether it is eligible to be licensed for street or highway uses. It includes, but is not limited to campers, tent trailers, pickup campers, motor homes, boats and trailers, snowmobiles, all-terrain vehicles, go karts, dune buggies, motorcycles, mini-bikes, scooters and dirt bikes.
  • No more than three recreational vehicles that are in good repair and currently licensed may be parked as follows:
    • In rear or side yard provided a 5-foot setback from property lines is maintained except when screened from adjacent property by a 90% opaque screening fence and provided the area is kept free of weeds and mowed regularly.
  • During seasonal use recreational vehicles may be located on a hard surfaced driveway provided that is:
    • Located completely on owner's property.
    • Does not obstruct a sidewalk or trail.
    • Does not protrude into public right-of-way.
    • Limited to two recreational vehicles on driveway.
  • Recreational vehicles parked outside of an enclosed building may not exceed 34-feet in length except as follows:
    • Recreational vehicle is not parked for a period exceeding eight (8) hours.
    • Allowed by a conditional use permit issued by the City Council.


The owner or occupant of property adjacent to a public sidewalk must keep it safe for pedestrians and cannot allow snow, ice, dirt or rubbish to remain on the walk longer than 24 hours. Questions regarding sidewalks should be directed to Savage Public Works at 952-224-3400.


The Sign Ordinance regulates the placement of all signs within the City and requires a sign permit prior to installing any permanent or temporary signage unless specifically exempt by code. For additional information on signage, please contact the Planning Department at 952-882-2660.


Snowmobiles are only allowed on designated trails within city limits. A designated snowmobile trail is a trail that is maintained by a snowmobile club recognized by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. More than 24 miles of trails in Savage are maintained by Scott County Sno-Trails Inc. and supported by the Savage Sno-Pacers

Vehicles for Sale

  • Passenger automobiles and recreational vehicles are permitted to be advertised "For Sale" within a residential area provided the vehicle is owned by the property owner where the vehicle is parked and is currently licensed, operable and parked entirely on an approved hard surfaced driveway.
  • Commercially licensed vehicles cannot be parked within a residential district and advertised "For Sale"
  • Vehicles for sale on street or public properties is prohibited.

Weeds and Tall Grass

City Code prohibits weeds which have gone or are about to go to seed and the growth of turf grass to a height greater than ten inches. Property owners who receive notice of a violation are given 7 days to eradicate the weeds and/or cut the grass. If an owner fails to comply, the City will take action to bring the property in compliance and all costs incurred will be assessed and affixed to the property’s taxes.

Proposed Ordinances

The City posts all proposed ordinances at least 10 days before a City Council meeting. To receive notification of a proposed ordinance, sign up for eNotifications. For more information, please contact the City Clerk at 952-882-2660.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer