Smart Irrigation Controller Rebate
Thanks to a grant awarded to the City of Savage by the Metropolitan Council and local matching funds, Savage residents can receive a credit on their water bill for purchasing and installing an irrigation controller that reduces water usage. The credit will cover 90% of the cost of the smart irrigation controller, up to $200. (For instance, if the irrigation controller costs $200, the credit would be $180). Rebates will be provided on a first-come, first-served basis until the grant money is gone.
Your in-lawn irrigation system could be wasting water and money. Most sprinklers run on a timer, but they don’t take into account if the lawn “needs” watering. Irrigation systems can run too long or too often – leading to over-watering. This can be a drain on your water bill, a waste of water, and create shallow root systems that are bad for your lawn.
Smart irrigation controllers – which can be purchased at most home improvement stores – act like a thermostat for your sprinkler system. They use local weather reports and forecasts to determine how much it has rained in recent days and how much it’s expected to rain in the near future. Using this information, the controller can then turn on and off automatically when it will be most effective for the lawn. Irrigation controllers require a smartphone for set up and a Wi-Fi connection to monitor weather conditions.
How to apply for a water bill credit
To request a credit, residents must:
- Have an in-lawn irrigation system that is connected to the City’s water system.
- Purchase and install a WaterSense certified smart irrigation controller between December 20, 2019 and June 30, 2020, or before grant money is gone.
- Fill out and submit an online request.
- Include a photo /scan of the receipt/proof of purchase.
- Include a photo of the irrigation controller’s box showing the WaterSense logo alongside the installed controller.
- New construction, commercial, and homeowner associations do not qualify.
If you have questions, please contact Water Resources Manager Jesse Carlson at 952-882-2686 or firstname.lastname@example.org.