General Permits

All of the following permits are available at City Hall, 6000 McColl Drive, 952.882.2660.

Block Parties

Cul-de-sacs and low volume neighborhood streets are eligible for block party permits. A $35 Savage fee and a $50 refundable deposit (for the barricades) are paid when filling out an application. The city provides street barricades, which are delivered and picked up by the City.

Alcohol consumption is allowed on private property only. Picnic tables are allowed on the street, but passage must be allowed for motorists. Live or recorded music volumes must be kept at reasonable levels. On-street activities may continue only during daylight hours.

Building Permits

Building Permits are required for most projects including decks, porches, finished basements, garages, swimming pools, retaining walls (over 4 feet high), and demolition.

Mechanical Permits are required for air conditioners, furnaces, fireplaces, air exchangers and garage heaters.

Plumbing Permits are required for water heaters, water softeners and lawn sprinklers.

  • Before beginning a project, all residents are advised to check on permit requirements by viewing the relevant handout.
  • All plumbing, mechanical, and water/sewer contractors and subcontractors must be registered with the City of Savage.

Burning Permits

A City burning permit is required for all open burning, including recreational fires. Permits may be obtained at City Hall, Monday - Friday, between 8 a.m. and 4 p.m. or downloaded from this site.

Peddlers/ Solicitors

Door-to-door peddlers, defined as those who deliver merchandise at the same time as it is offered for sale, must have city council approval. Solicitors (those who take orders for future delivery) and non-profits salespeople must register at city hall. Such permit/registration should not be construed as an endorsement of the product or service offered. Peddlers are not permitted on a property where a sign or notice is posted prohibiting them.


The Sign Ordinance regulates the placement of all signs within the city and prohibits any person for erecting and/or altering any permanent or temporary sign without first obtaining a permit unless the sign is specifically exempt by code. For additional information on signage, please contact Terri Dill, Senior Planner at 952.882.2698.


Gun Permits

See the Police Department web page for information regarding gun permit applications.