City Ordinances

The following is a list of ordinances commonly affecting Savage residents. For a full version of all regulations in the City, view the Savage City Code.

Code Enforcement Complaints
Voluntary compliance with all ordinances is the goal of the City of Savage and property owners should take responsibility for maintaining their property to promote the preservation of neighborhoods and enhancement of our community. In many cases, a resident or business owner may be unaware of common code violations and once notified, take action to correct it. Due to limited resources, the City responds to violations on a complaint basis only.

If you believe there are code issues in your neighborhood, you must submit a written complaint.  Complaints are processed during normal business hours and anonymous complaints will not be investigated.  Your name and personal information is confidential and will not be shared with the public. If your complaint is regarding noise or on-street parking between the hours of 2 am and 6 am, you must report the complaint while the violation is occurring by calling the 24 hour non-emergency police number at 952.445.1411.

Animal Control

The City contracts with 4-Paws Animal Control to assist in enforcing ordinances regulating animals within the Community.

  • All dogs 16 weeks of age or older within the City must be licensed annually. Dog license fee is $10 and may be obtained at the Savage Police Department, from 4-Paws Animal Control or from some veterinarians if located in Savage. Rabies vaccination documentation is required.
  • No more than three dogs/cats are allowed per household.
  • Animals running at large may be impounded by any animal control officer/warden or police officer.
  • Habitual Barking: It is unlawful for any person to keep or harbor a dog, which habitually barks or cries. Habitual barking is defined as barking, crying or howling for repeated intervals of at least three (3) minutes with less than one (1) minute of interruption. Such barking must also be audible off of the owner or caretaker’s premises.
  • It is unlawful for any animal to damage lawn, garden, or other property, whether or not the owner has knowledge of the damage. Any animal covered by this subdivision may be impounded as provided in this Section or a complaint may be issued by anyone aggrieved by an animal under this Section, against the owner of the animal for prosecution under this Section.
  • The owner of any animal or person having the custody or control of any animal shall be responsible for cleaning up any feces of the animal and disposing of such feces in a sanitary manner whether on their own property, on the property of others or on public property. Any person violating this section may be charged with a misdemeanor pursuant to this section.
  • Whenever an animal aggressively approaches or bites any human being or domestic animal, such animal shall immediately be quarantined for at least ten (10) days.
  • Dogs shall not be located in parks unless they are leashed or inside a motor vehicle.

Please contact the Savage Police Department at 952.882.2600 with complaints relating to habitual barking. Running at large and damage to property calls shall be directed to 4–Paws Animal Control at 952.894.9065. Calls to the Police or Animal Control should be made at the time the violation is occurring.


The following curfew restrictions apply to public streets, alleys, parks, playgrounds, or other public buildings, places of amusement, entertainment, refreshment, or vacant lot.

Age Restricted Time
Under the age of 12 years

Sun. - Thurs., 9 p.m. - 5 a.m. the following day

Fri. or Sat., 10 p.m. - 5 a.m. the following day

12, 13, or 14 years of age

Sun. - Thurs., 10 p.m. - 5 a.m. the following day

Fri. or Sat., 11 p.m. - 5 a.m. the following day

15, 16, 17 years of age

Sun. - Thurs., 11 p.m. - 5 a.m. the following day

Sat. or Sun., 12:01 a.m. - 5 a.m.







False Alarms

In the event that the Police Department responds to a false security alarm, the following fees will be charged per calendar year:

  • 1st false alarm $25  (waived with Best Practices Registration)
  • 2nd false alarm $50 ($25 with Best Practices Registration)
  • 3rd false alarm $100
  • 4th & 5th false alarm  $200
  • 6th & 7th false alarm  $300
  • 8th & 9th false alarm  $400
  • 10th & over false alarm $500


The following are examples of nuisances and should be reported to Code Enforcement:

  • Accumulation of manure, rubbish, garbage, junk, debris, decayed food or matter or other waste that causes offensive odors, unsightly conditions or excessive manifestation of insects to the discomfort and annoyance of adjacent property owners or the public
  • Depositing or burning leaves, trash, lawn clippings or other material in the streets, alleys or gutters
  • Depositing snow or ice, removed from private property, onto a public street, alley, sidewalk or trail
  • Outdoor storage or accumulation of junk including, but not limited to parts of machinery or motor vehicles, metal, appliances, building materials,
  • Outdoor storage of junk vehicles
  • Structures or part of structures which because of fire, wind or other natural disaster or deterioration are no longer habitable as a dwelling or its original purpose
  • Any other material or equipment that may cause blight or an unsightly neighborhood condition

To report a code enforcement issue, please submit the on-line code violation reporting formFor questions on Code Enforcement, please call 952-882-2600.

Parking Restrictions

Parking on City streets is prohibited between 2 a.m. and 6 a.m. on any day, except as may be allowed specifically by designated signage or by permit. Tickets will be issued for violations. The reasons for these restrictions are aesthetics, public safety and the need for efficient snow removal, street sweeping and street repair.  A resident may request a parking variance by contacting the Savage Police Department at 952.882.2600.

Recreational Vehicle Parking

Recreational Vehicle Parking:

  • A recreational vehicle is any vehicle designed for sport, amusement or recreation regardless of whether it is eligible to be licensed for street or highway uses. It includes, but is not limited to campers, pickup campers, tent trailers, motor homes, boats and trailers, snowmobiles, all terrain vehicles, go karts, dune buggies, motorcycles, mini-bikes, scooters and dirt bikes
  • No more than 3 recreational vehicles that are in good repair and currently licensed may be parked as follows:
    • In rear or side yard provided a 5-foot setback from property lines is maintained except when screened from adjacent property by a 90% opaque screening fence and provided the area is kept free of weeds and mowed regularly
  • During seasonal use recreational vehicles may be located on a hard surfaced driveway provided that is:
    • Located completely on owner's property
    • Does not obstruct a sidewalk or trail
    • Does not protrude into public right-of-way
    • Limited to 2 recreational vehicles on driveway
  • Recreational vehicles parked outside of an enclosed building may not exceed 34-feet in length except as follows:
    • Recreational vehicle is not parked for a period exceeding eight (8) hours
    • Allowed by a conditional use permit issued by the City Council

Vehicles for Sale

  • Passenger automobiles and recreational vehicles are permitted to be advertised "For Sale" within a residential area provided the vehicle is owned by the property owner where the vehicle is parked and is currently licensed, operable and parked entirely on a hard surfaced driveway
  • Commercially licensed vehicles cannot be parked within a residential district and advertised "For Sale"
  • Vehicles for sale on street is prohibited


The operation of snowmobiles is allowed on designated trails within City limits. A designated snowmobile trail is a trail that is maintained by a snowmobile club recognized by the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. More than 24 miles of trails in Savage are maintained by Scott County Sno-Trails Inc. and supported by the Savage Sno-Pacers. Snowmobiles are allowed on designated trails when in compliance with other ordinances. More information.

Social Host

It shall be unlawful for any person(s) to host an event or gathering at any residence, premise or public or private property where alcoholic beverages are present and underage persons may also be present if:

  • The person hosting the event or gathering knows or reasonably should know that the underage person(s) may or does consume alcohol and/or possesses alcohol with the intent to consume it; and
  • The person fails to take reasonable steps to prevent the possession or consumption by the underage person(s).

Violation of the ordinance is a misdemeanor. A person who hosts an event or gathering does not have to be present at the event or gathering to be criminally responsible.

Tree Preservation

The Urban Forest and Shade Tree Manual provides information on tree preservation within the City. The manual is divided into sections with information for residents and builders/developers.  For additional information, please contact Public Works at 952.224.3400.

Weeds and Tall Grass

City code prohibits weeds which have gone or are about to go to seed and the growth of turf grass to a height greater than ten inches.  Property owners who receive notice of a violation are given 7 days to eradicate the weeds and/or cut the grass. If an owner fails to comply, the City will take action to bring the property in compliance and all costs incurred will be assessed and affixed to the property’s taxes. To report a tall grass or weed issue, please contact Public Works at 952.224.3400 or submit an on-line code violation reporting form.


Accumulation of refuse on a property is a considered a nuisance and is prohibited. Every owner or occupant of a household or business is required to contract with a licensed solid waste service for refuse removal. The following applies to locating garbage and refuse containers:

  • All refuse shall be stored in a closed container sufficient in size to accommodate and securely keep all garbage that may accumulate between collections
  • Containers must be constructed of a durable, watertight material and maintained in a sanitary condition
  • Containers shall be stored within the garage or out of public view except on collection day
  • Containers may be placed at the curb (not in the street) no earlier than 4:00 pm the night before collection and must be removed by 8:00 pm the day of collection


To control noise problems, the City has designated timeframes allowed for garbage collection in residential districts and construction activity involving the use of any kind of electric, diesel or gas powered machine or equipment:

  • Weekdays between 7:00 am and 7:00 pm
  • Saturday, Sundays and Holidays between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm

The Public Works Director has the authority to grant contractors an extension to 10 pm on any day. An extension beyond 10 pm may be granted to extenuating circumstances.

Report noise complaints at the time of the suspected violation to the Savage Police Department at 952.882.2600.


The owner and occupant of property adjacent to a public sidewalk must keep it safe for pedestrians and cannot allow snow, ice, dirt or rubbish to remain on the walk longer than 24 hours.
Questions or complaints regarding sidewalks should be directed to Savage Public Works at 952.224.3400.


The Sign Ordinance regulates the placement of all signs within the city and prohibits any person for erecting and/or altering any permanent or temporary sign without first obtaining a permit unless the sign is specifically exempt by code. For additional information on signage, please contact Terri Dill, Senior Planner at 952.882.2698.

Sign Ordinance

Temporary Signs

Sign Permit Application

Temporary Sign Permit