As part of the budget process, the City is required to follow certain steps in the adoption of the City's operating budget:
- By Sept. 15 -- Certify to the County Auditor a proposed levy
- Mid-November -- The County Auditor then prepares property tax notices, which are sent to each property owner showing the proposed levy adopted by the City.
- After these notices are sent, the City is required to hold public meeting(s) to provide public input regarding the adoption of the operating budget and subsequent final certified levy.
- After the City holds its public meeting(s), it must then adopt a final budget and certified levy prior to the last day of the year.
- First week in December -- The City holds a public meeting on the budget and tax levy.
- Second Council meeting in December -- Final adoption of the tax levy and budget.